As a provider learning network committed to improving healthcare through data and collaboration, the High Value Healthcare Collaborative is dedicated to advocating for policy and payment models that support value-based health care.
HVHC grounds its advocacy in two elements that distinguish its impact in the healthcare arena: the Collaborative’s powerful, national reach and the size and diversity of its data trust.
Leveraging these assets, HVHC aims to assert a proactive stance and create a distinctive HVHC voice informed by dual commitments to data and collaboration. In addition to responding to legislation, HVHC aspires to create positions, share results, and develop relationships crafted to encourage policy makers to consider HVHC’s expert opinion.
HVHC also values the flexibility to provide comments and coordinate responses with other healthcare organizations on emergent issues. Healthcare continues to evolve rapidly, and the means to address it must remain fluid. Above all, HVHC intends to make its advocacy efforts relevant, timely, and effective.
To streamline the process of selecting advocacy positions, HVHC will start by examining policy issues and legislation that arise from major projects. These include:
- Advanced illness
- Sepsis care
- Appropriate Use Criteria for hip, knee and spine surgery
- Risk adjusters for complex patients
Yet it is also important to note that themes that unite projects may emerge and require proactive commentary. Examples of such linking elements are:
- Continued access to CMS data
- Issues of patient attribution
- Implications of the Quality Payment Program on a wide range of HVHC Member systems
- Performance benchmarking for selected episodes of care
It is HVHC’s intent to share its distinctive voice in the debate on healthcare and bring issues of value-based care to the forefront of a conversation that will affect all our Members and their millions of patients.
Examples of Recent HVHC Advocacy Actions:
- Alternative Payment White Paper
- AHRQ Patient Safety in Ambulatory Settings
- CMS Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement (CJR)
- CMS Hospital Acquired Condition (HAC) Reduction Program
- CMS Hospital Compare Star Rating Program
- CMS SEP-1 Measure
- Medicare Access & CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) 2016
- Medicare Access & CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) 2015
- Protecting Access to Medicare Act (PAMA)