To date, HVHC has focused its work on six high-cost, high-variation health conditions, including patients considering hip, knee, or spine surgery; and patients diagnosed with congestive heart failure, diabetes, or sepsis.
Today, HVHC Board Committees oversee topic areas that include:
- Payment Modeling: e.g., Bundle Framework for condition-based episodes; Complexity Modifier for outlier patients undergoing lower extremity joint replacement; Value-based Payment Model design to align measures and associated payments with more efficient and effective care at lower cost
- Clinical Improvement: e.g., Advanced Illness Group focusing on end of life care; Sepsis Dissemination & Implementation to broadly implement and measure the 3-hour bundle
- Measures Reporting: e.g., CMS Hospital Readmission Reduction Program; CMS Inpatient Quality Reporting; Meaningful Use Specialized Registry
- Advocacy: e.g., collective comments on legislation such as MACRA; public-private partnerships to inform evidence-based improvements to rulemaking such as CJR and PAMA
- Affinity Groups: e.g., OpenNotes to increase adoption of electronic notes sharing at HVHC Member sites; Payment Reform to help Members understand and address the financial impacts of upcoming payment models